- Pick up enough mason jars to light up your party.Preferably new jars so that all you will need to do is wipe out the inside and outside with a damp rag. If you are removing food from the jars, rinse well and either put them in the dishwasher or scrub with hot water and soap. Allow jars to dry before beginning your project.
- Make sure each jar has a well-fitting lid. You will need to top the jar with the lid and shake to create the illumination. If the lid doesn’t fit properly, the glow stick material could spill.
- Obtain your lighting element.Purchase several glow sticks--approximately one per jar.
- Grab a pair of sharp scissors.You’ll want to make a clean cut along the top of the glow stick in order to extract the liquid.
Create Your Illuminated Mason Jars
- Wipe jars clean and then dry.If you are working with new mason jars, all you’ll need to do is use a microfiber cloth to wipe the inside and outside.
- Cover your work area with newspaper or a drop cloth.Even though you may not spill glow stick material, you don’t want to take any chances. Take precautions before you break open the sticks.
- Hold the glow stick directly over the mason jar and snip the top with the scissors.Make sure you don't end up having to make several rough cuts as it could create a mess. A sharp pair of scissors should produce a clean cut along the top of the stick.
- Pour the glow stick liquid directly into the mason jar.Hold a paper towel in the opposite hand so when you are done pouring you can grasp the open end with the paper towel and swiftly (and cleanly) discard the empty glow stick.
- Replace the mason jar lid and screw on tightly.A tight fit is very important in order to avoid a huge mess.
- Shake the mason jar to activate the glow stick material and cover the mason jar with liquid.The coverage will provide for more of a glow and remain illuminated for several hours.
- Create shapes inside your mason jar by purchasing removable stickers and placing them inside the jar before you pour the glow stick material inside.
- Create your mason jar lanterns within 20 to 30 minutes prior to your event (or during your event).
- Following use, clean mason jars wiping out remaining glow stick material with a paper towel and then soaking them in hot soapy water.
- If you want to keep your jar glowing longer you will just have to pour out the other glow stick liquid and put in a new one.
- Put in a bit of silver glitter. It makes it look more shiny and a little bit magical.